Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Body Genius


My months-long mystery of not feeling well is on its way to being solved. Answers couldn't arrive at a better time. I've got lots to do and my favorite moments of spring~ the wild, white cherry trees in bloom~ are coming. New direction is begging to be taken. And love is waiting at the door.

But before any new doors open, my body needs some balancing. Finally, a doctor said to me, "you have every symptom of hypoglycemia". That's the pancreas overreacting to sugar, causing my blood sugar to become too low. When it gets too low, it's startling in its capacity to render me useless.There is panic and hunger beyond anything normal and at its worst, sudden despair. I have not figured out, yet, how to help myself.

Tomorrow will find me at a lengthy glucose-tolerance blood test. The amount of time that I won't have any food in my system, before and during the process, is already making me nervous. I won't be a pretty sight. But answers will come and advice will be given and no medication will be required.

In the meantime, all simple sugars have left my home and the process of figuring out what keeps me properly inflated and happy has begun in earnest. On the list is Brewer's yeast, dissolved in sugar free almond milk. It's disgusting with a capital D. But I'll do it. Off the list are too many favorites to mention. (I will miss you dearly, Ben and Jerry.)

I have faith the eureka moment will come and balance will be the prize. New levels of understanding the genius of my body are unfolding. And without this body, there is no new direction to be had and no new love to drink in.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Graciel. Good luck tomorrow. Sending you good thoughts, and I'll say a prayer for you too. I hope that the doctor can figure out what is wrong and what you need to do to make things right again. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3/27/2011

    I carry Dex 4 glucose tablets in my purse in a little tube that holds 10 tablets. Four grams of fast-acting carbohydrates per tablet. You can also purchase a large bottle for economical refill purposes. Works well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, anonymous!! i will find those tablets tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sending you the best of wishes, and hoping that once things are balanced out, you will be able to enjoy the things you love occasionally. Take good care of yourself. And hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy they are figuring it out. It could be worse, but letting go of simple sugars would be like withdrawals, I do believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you don't feel too rough today Graciel!

    Much hugs,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate the time you take to comment on my blog. Thank you for stopping by. Peace from my heart to yours. xo, Graciel